The Science Graduate Student Association (SciGSA) is a group of enthusiastic students bringing scientists from diverse fields together to make a difference in the graduate student experience at McMaster University.
SciGSA aims to connect Science graduate students with other graduate students in their home or other departments, faculty/staff at McMaster, alumni, potential employers in industry, and beyond. Our various events spanning the entire year will help you develop academically, professionally, and socially! As a Science graduate student, you will be invited to fun events such as: trivia at The Phoenix. wine and cheese alumni socials, engaging talks, sports tournaments, and more! Your membership also gives you access to special discounts to events, surveys that will help shape the future of new or existing initiatives on campus, the ability to run for the SciGSA Executive Council, and the latest updates related to your experience as a Science graduate student.
SciGSA Membership is categorized into three groups:
The SciGSA Executive Council is responsible for implementing and organizing events for the general members of SciGSA. The Executive Council also acts as the liaison between the general membership and parties such as the Graduate Students Association (GSA), the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), or the Dean of Science. This may include communicating new intiatives or airing grievances. Executive positions within the SciGSA are elected from the departmental representatives and serve a one-year term from May to the following April. Executive positions include:
- Communications Officer
- Director of Information Technology (IT)
Representatives are responsible for relaying information between the Executive Council and relevant parties such as departments/schools, the GSA, or the Senate. Up to two departmental/school representatives may be appointed by their respective departments/schools. Representatives include:
- Departmental Representatives – Biology, Chemistry/Chemical Biology, Computational Science & Engineering, Geography & Earth Sciences, Kinesiology, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics & Astronomy, and Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
- Faculty Representative Candidate (FRC)
- Graduate Students Association (GSA) Representative
- International Graduate Student Association (iGSA) Representative
- Senate Representative
- Women in Science & Engineering (WISE) Representative
All graduate students in the Faculty of Science are permitted to join SciGSA. Please feel free to attend any of our events and communicate with us!
Current Executive Council
Executive Council for the 2022-2023 Academic Year:
- President: Hasan Siddiqui
- Vice-President/Treasurer: Iris Chan
- Secretary: Kay McCallum
- Communications Officer: Reta Meng
- Director of IT: Rhea Desai
- FRC Liaison to the GSA: Xiaobing Li, Megan Li
- iGSA Rep: Vini Koehler
- Senate Rep: Hasan Siddiqui
- WISE Rep: Vacant
- Biology Rep: Susan Marsh-Rollo
- Chemistry & Chemical Biology Rep: Laura Matchett
- Computational Science & Engineering Rep: Vacant
- Geography & Earth Sciences Rep: Alexis Polidoro
- Kinesiology Rep: Mai Wageh
- Mathematics & Statistics Rep: Greg Forkutza, Michaela Kelly
- Physics & Astronomy Rep: Hamza Khattak
- Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour Rep: Ben Sclodnick, Janice Yan
Want to speak with any of the above? You can email us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Please contact email@example.com for the latest version of the SciGSA Constitution and/or Bylaws.
Faculty of Science – our home Faculty
Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) 3906 – union for academic workers at McMaster University
Graduate Students Association – organization representing graduate students at McMaster University
Email us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram @McMasterSciGSA.
We’d love to hear from you!