Submitting a Grant Application or Contract: Your MILO Sponsored Project Checklist
Process and Instructions for Obtaining Faculty Approval
Every grant application and contract requires a completed and signed McMaster Industry Liaison Office Sponsored Checklist (commonly called the MILO form). Instructions on how to complete the MILO form can be found here. The Faculty of Science, and ROADS and MILO use the forms to gather information on individual applications, commitments, and University research activities to aid with planning and support activities.
- Submit your MILO form with a complete copy of the full application and budget, as well as letters of support (detailing both internal and external financial commitments) if applicable, to the Office of the Dean (BSB 102). Please do not stable applications together; use paper clips.
- Be sure to have your Department Chair review the application and sign the MILO form before bringing it to the Dean's office. The application will not be reviewed until the Department Chair has signed the MILO form.
- Provide us with the submission deadline of the grant to ensure arrangements for a signature can be made in time for your deadline.
- Allow at least 2 days for review of your application and the Dean's signature to be obtained. More complex applications may take more time.
- If your application involves commitments from the University, such as space, funding for graduate students, deviations from standard overhead rates, etc., please contact Associate Dean (Research & External Affairs) to discuss commitments at least two weeks prior to the application's deadline. Requests will be considered in terms of the application's strategic importance to the Faculty.
- The MILO must be approved and signed by your Department Chair and the Dean before ROADS or MILO will accept it.
- Once the form has been approved by the Dean, you will be notified and are responsible for delivering it to the appropriate research office, e.g., ROADS or MILO.
Sections F and G of the MILO form may or not be applicable, depending on the type of project or the Sponsor providing the funds. These issues most commonly arise in connection with industry sponsored research. If these sections do not apply to your project, please leave them blank. If you are unsure, be sure to talk to your Senior Advisor at ROADS or MILO.
If you have general questions about research applications or the granting process, please contact Seanna-Lin Brodie-Keys, Administrator, Research & Facilities, Faculty of Science (ext 28635).
If you are unsure which office is handling a particular program, please consult the Who Does What at McMaster page.